Friday, September 17, 2010

The European

A fitting start to my new pastime.  The European was a place suggested to me by Eva Johansen on my first visit to Melbourne way back in 2001.  I fell in love with the place back then and nothing has really changed since.

The Melbournians reading this will of course know of its merits, but our western compatriots may not have heard of its long standing pedigree.  Attached to the famous Supper Club and the lessor known City Wine Store and Siglo, this is one of the few kitchens operating after 10pm that do more than stirfry and short order.  In fact, you can get a proper meal, up until 3am. 

Situated right next to the Princess Theatre, the menu notes quick tasty snacks and charcuterie for those that are time poor and trying to get to the newest hip Melbourne show, right through to multiple course play.  

Typically Melbourne in style you sit amongst a clean but well weathered environment of wood, brass and glass.  The black and white checked tiles and undressed table tops sing "BISTRO" in an unpretentious, and classic manner.  I nearly half expect a cliche frenchman in a red and white stripe top offering me some baguette he is carrying under his arm.


The wine list holds true to the restaurants name, sporting only the old world in an array seldom available but a mark up a few years ahead of its time.  You will have access to some decent producers and aged wines that are not generally stocked on other lists so there is opportunity to spoil yourself silly.  Business credit card anyone?  There is a sommelier on board to help navigate your way through the wine menu if you require.  I, surprisingly, managed to contain myself this time and only go by the glass....es.

Dinner for me was the Free Range Duck Pie with Mushroom and Orange Confit.  I can hear all you out there saying, " What a surprise.  He ordered duck! "  I just can't help myself, and I am glad I did. I have never been disappointed with the food and consistency reigns.

Staff know their stuff, and are more than happy to take control.  I guess they are a little used to the more stuffy, top of the town types that would frequent, but loosened up when they realised we were there to play.
As one of my favored playgrounds I usually take my WA mates there as a Melbourne must do.

16/20

2 comments: